Friday, November 30, 2012

Jalie 2682 with zipper

Here is a quick and easy pullover top I made for my girls yesterday.  I used Jalie 2682 pattern, zipper at front neckline option.  This fleece fabric is a little hard to work with on my serger, so I made these using my sewing machine.  



I made one with a black zipper and one with a red zipper so my girls would be able to quickly see which one was theirs.  I actually bought 2 zippers of each color because I wasn't sure which would look best since I bought the fabric online thru Joanns Fabrics.  As it turned out, both looked great.


complete with candy cane ;)


My girls are wearing their tops with purchased winter pants from Old Navy.

Thanks for stopping by!

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Ottobre "Timeless and Cozy"

Have you seen the women's Ottobre 5/2012 magazine?  Love it!  I think I want everything in it, so I started with #3, Timeless and Cozy.  It definitely is!  I bought this fabric a while back from Fabric.com.  It has quite a bit of stretch to it.  Originally I had planned on making a wrap dress, but had second thoughts about my fabric choice.  I'm glad I tucked it away because I am really happy with my pattern choice.  I think a busy print always looks nice with a simple design.  I don't remember what type of knit this is, but it is buttery soft and has such a nice drape to it.



I purchased this scarf a few weeks ago, and I love how well it matches the fabric.  


I used a plain brown knit for the neckband, as well as the hemband.  I made this in a size 38.  I really debated on whether to make a 40 or not.  My bust measurement fell between the 38 and the 40, but my hip measurement was definitely a size 38.  I'm happy with the fit.  The sleeves feel a little snug on my arms, but not too tight or uncomfortable in any way.  In another type of fabric, I will probably adjust the sleeve width only.



Thanks for stopping by!



Saturday, November 17, 2012

Ottobre Hi-hat pants 4/2008 #33

I am really excited to have finished my son's cargo pants!  The pattern can be found in the April 2008 issue of Ottobre magazine.  They are the "Hi-hat" casual pants, #33.  This is the first time I have ever made zippered pants for my son.  I feel like I have "graduated" from making elastic-waist pants now!  He wears 140 store-bought jeans, so I made a 140 pattern size; they fit exactly the same.  I found a tutorial online to help me with the cargo pockets, which you can find here.  Thanks Joy!!  


I used Gutermann grey topstitching thread.  With the many areas to topstitch, it took more than 1 spool of thread.


I love the construction of the back pockets; the top flap is sewn into the seam of the back yoke and pant.  The back pant leg is actually 2 separate pieces (how cool is that?); you can see the top stitching where the 2 pieces are joined.  The waistband fit perfectly, sewing together very easily.  I did add a strip of stabilizing tape to the edge of the waistband (the part that you turn under 3/8" on the top front of the pant).  My fabric had a slight stretch to it, so that kept my waistband fabric from stretching while sewing.


I purchased these silver star buttons from Fabric.com, and the pants are made from black twill purchased from Denver fabrics.



I found Ottobre's instructions to be very thorough for this pattern, but previous experience with zippers is a plus; there are additional instructions for zipper installation in this magazine issue.

When using Ottobre patterns, you do need to add seam allowances.  I purchased a 3/8" ruler from Claire here.  I follow Claire's blog, SA Curve, and decided to try out her ruler; I'm so glad I did.  It makes adding seam allowances a breeze.  I use to use my hem gauge, which took forever and not very practical on curved seams. 

My son is wearing his Farbenmix Imke shirt I made for him a while back.  See my post here

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Farbenmix Girls Imke

Today I made this cute jersey knit top for one of my girls.  This pattern can be found in the Sewing Clothes Kids Love book.  Farbenmix patterns are really a lot of fun to make.  I have made several Imke shirts for my son, but this is the first time I have made one for my girls.  



Since I used a different fabric for the hood lining, I pulled the lining a little forward and then top stitched the seam.  Normally I always fuss trying to get the seam just perfect here.  However, this time I decided since my fabrics were contrasting, it would be great if the lining was visible.


My daughter chose the fuller sleeve option for her shirt.  She is wearing this shirt with her Crafty Mamas Funky Pants.


I hemmed the sleeves with my coverstitch machine BEFORE I sewed the shirt down the sides.  I have found that the fewer seams I have to sew over, the better my coverstitch machine performs.  After the sides of the sleeves are sewn, I just "tack" the bottom of the sleeve hem right on the sleeve seam, hiding about 1/2 inch of the serger thread tail on the inside.  This just secures the stitching a little more.


These fabrics were purchased from Girl Charlee.


Monday, November 5, 2012

Christmas Quilts

I'm excited to say that I finished the quilts for my children today!  I worked all day today sewing the binding on them--sore fingers and all.  It has been a while since I have done that, and 3 in one day took longer than I imagined.  I'm really happy with the results.  This is a double slice layer cake quilt.  I blogged about it here when I completed the first quilt top.



I love how they brighten up our living room.

I also let my children decorate the backside of their quilts with fabric markers.

We pulled out our Christmas stencils, which came in handy for this project.




Thanks for visiting my blog!

Shirley