Sunday, January 5, 2014

First Outfit of 2014

Ottobre Woman 5/2008
#2 buttoned denim skirt
Size 34

Jalie 2805
View A
Size R

I was going for something a little nautical looking....


Yep, it's winter and here I am modeling my outfit for summer!  Oh well.  In the pattern magazine they show it being worn with leggings and it looked super cute.  Maybe I just don't have the right shoes, but with tights it just didn't look right on me.  My daughter took the photos and she got embarrassed because people in coats were staring at me!


This skirt is high on the waist, so this is a little different than I am used to.  It was fairly easy to make.  Topstitching the waist was a little tedious since it is made from stretch denim.  I put a strip of interfacing on the seam allowance that was turned under before stitching it to the skirt front.  It helped to stabilize it when sewing.  First though, I had to take out my stitches when I had some buckling of the fabric.  The interfacing did the trick!  I love all the topstitching.  I lined the pockets.  I find this is easier to do than having to turn under seam allowances.  Plus it feels nicer when you put your hands in your pockets.


My belt seemed a little wider than my loops.  I guess I got something not right there.  It's minor though.

I like the Jalie top.  It is the first time I have used the pattern.  I might scoop out the neckline a little lower next time; it does feel kind of high.  I like it with this skirt style.


thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



6 comments:

  1. nice outfit you put together!
    I love the neckline of this shirt, I don't think it's too high: looks good on you!
    The skirt too looks oerfect: nice topstitch!
    Hugs from Italy,
    MammaNene @ SergerPepper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Irene! I appreciate all your feedback on this outfit! We love Italy! We went there for the first time 2 summers ago.

      Delete
  2. Oh Shirley! I love it!! The Jalie looks fabulous on you; it is true, the neckline is a bit high on it. I've gotten used to it on mine and I sort of like knowing I can bend forward and still be covered ;-)
    The skirt is awesome. I love the a-line frame of it and the buttons down the front. Your topstitching looks perfect too. I will keep in mind the tip on the stabilizing.

    Great outfit to start the year with!
    (now I must see if I have that Otto issue because that skirt is definitely going on my to-make list!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Good point about the neckline. I just bought a t-shirt on clearance from V/S and the neckline is so low that I cannot wear it without something underneath. I really worked hard on my topstitching this time. I had to keep reminding myself to not have a lead foot on the pedal LOL. I'm glad I inspired you to make this skirt. :)

      Delete
  3. Very cute and nautical outfit! May summer come soon so you can wear it (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I really wanted to make a pair of sailor pants, but I missed out on getting the Lisette pattern before it was discontinued. That taught me a lesson. Now I make sure to buy any pattern that I'm remotely interested in. I just think of it as my collection! LOL So, I decided to just go with a skirt instead.

      Delete

I love reading your comments!