Saturday, January 18, 2014

Keeping Organized with a Sewing Journal

This week I had two projects--another Ottobre 3-piece outfit for one of my girls and beginning a sewing journal to help me keep track of my projects with fabric references and cost.  Once you determine that something works really well, i.e., fabric type, pattern, etc., it would be nice to have that information easily accessible to duplicate the process again.  I always think I'll remember what I bought a fabric for or even what type of fabric it was, but once I have moved onto my next project, all those thoughts are gone in a flash!  I have seen other sewing journals online, but I wanted something more basic.  I don't want it to be too time consuming because I would much rather invest my time in sewing and not paperwork.  I like what I have put together so far, and perhaps this might give someone else a good place to start too.

I purchased a 3-ring binder and made a simple document in Word.  I attached my fabric samples first to an index card and then attached that to my form.



So my first project to test out my journal is another outfit from Ottobre 1/2009.  I made it once already here. The skirt was a tiny bit too big in the waist, so I removed the seam allowances from the 128 size.  I couldn't go down a size since that is the smallest size for this pattern.  I love how fast an outfit goes together after you have already sewn it before.  This is actually my third time since I made this outfit for my other daughter as well.  She doesn't like the little layered top (nothing with any type of horizontal seam unless it is at the waist). So the snug look of it did not appeal to her tastes at all!



I found a free crochet slouchy hat pattern online by crazysockscrochet!  I thought it would be fun to make hats to match our outfits.  I have made 3 this week!





I started lining my girls' skirts.  I just don't like to see their skirts clinging to their legs when they walk.  It is really easy to line a skirt!  It especially makes the hem quicker too when you sew the lining to the shell fabric.  This I learned when I attached the lining to my son's duffle coat and thought I would do this with their skirt.  I don't know if RTW skirts are lined this way, but it definitely works for me!  I did have to hand stitch the lining under near the zipper.



and here is the other outfit I made without the layering top....

Super cute as a 2-piece outfit...and the hat I made to go with this one is pink with a purple band trim!


Fabrics used:  Navy poly cotton twill, crushed jersey knit, stretch Hatchi knit Graffiti stripe (Fabric.com)

Now on to sewing something for me.  I decided that I get an outfit in between sewing for my kids. :)

6 comments:

  1. You are so organised, Shirley. I always think I'll remember the details, but of course I don't, but I know I'd never keep up with a journal. I have to hope I put the details in a blog post... LOL!! I really should try, as it's a great idea.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam! I hope I can stay on top of my journal! I do like being able to save fabric scraps. I think it will also be fun for the kids to look back through too after they have grown out of the clothes. They'll have the photos but also be able to still see the fabrics. Kind of like a scrap book for them in a way.

      Delete
  2. A sewing journal is a good idea! I always wanted to start a quilt journal but never bothered. Ten years of quilting I really should have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should Kelly! I hope you have photographed your quilts over the years. I should pull up the photo of my husband's signature quilt and post it; it really turned out so nice. Maybe if I see it on here, I'll inspire myself to do more quilting! LOL

      Delete
  3. Cute little outfits and the slouchie hat is adorable. It's fun to see your organization system (I use an excel worksheet) - I figure you should choose a method that really suits you or won't actually follow through with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy! I am having fun crocheting hats these past couple of weeks. True, the real success in organizing your sewing is keeping with it. I'll see how that goes! LOL

      Delete

I love reading your comments!