Thursday, January 2, 2014

My Favorites from 2013

I thought I would take a moment and show you some of my favorites from 2013!



This is one of my favorite dresses.  I made this when I was nearing the end of my chemotherapy.  How do you like my $4 hat? LOL  I don't know why I chose this time to really challenge myself with this Ottobre pattern; it was pretty tough for me because I still didn't have steady hands.  I had a meltdown when I hit one of my buttons with the machine needle, and my husband immediately drove me to the fabric store and picked out even better buttons!  He is an amazing man and I am so happy that he is my husband.  We are approaching our 18th wedding anniversary.



This is another favorite of mine.  I love this skirt...and I have hair again!  I didn't plan the length very well and made a very narrow hem, which requires major pressing with the iron before I wear it so it won't curl up on me.  I will definitely be making this again but with a wider hem.  



This is such a great shirt!  My son LOVES his penguins, so I grabbed this fabric when I saw it on Girl Charlee.  This shirt is one of my favorite patterns out of the "Sewing Clothes Kids Love" book by Farbenmix.



I wear this coat all the time!  I wish I had lined it with regular lining fabric instead of flannel, but my knowledge and coat-making skills are improving.  It is my new addiction with sewing.



Love, love, love, this My Little Pony coat I made for my daughter.  She is so thrilled with it and was right along side me during the planning stages.



And the puppy coat!  I love how the personalities of my girls are really showing through with their choice of clothing.

This year I am looking forward to making some fitted tops and dresses, something I was unable to do this past year and really missed.  I will be having  breast reconstruction surgery around April/May time frame, so once that is complete, sometime in the Fall, I will be able to sew fitted clothing again.  Not knowing future breast size, I didn't want to sew up too much that would ultimately not fit me.  Initially I will have expanders put in.  My measurements will be smaller, which I'm actually looking forward to--no FBA in my future! ha ha  Since the Big 4 pattern companies are based on the average size B cup, I may not have to make any pattern alterations at all...wouldn't that be grand!

Here's to a great year ahead and thank you so much for visiting my blog!  I have so much to be thankful for.  Thank you God!

~ Shirley

11 comments:

  1. All of those coats are pretty spectacular! I am so glad everything is going well and I wish you a happy and healthy 2014.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza Jane! I have another post of a coat coming soon that I made for my son. I'm still waiting on the buttons; the mail is still slow from the holidays I guess.

      Delete
  2. This list is fabulous! I especially loved the vogue skirt and the cordelia!!! beautiful!
    It is so cute to hear how supportive your husband is and congrats to you for making it through that tough time! I'm excited for you to get sewing some fitted tops :D Happy 2014 - may it be a wonderful year filled with sewing, family, and friends! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! Life has gotten a lot easier, thankfully. I only have 5 more treatments and then I get my port removed. I'll feel such freedom! I have so many dress patterns that I have bought this past year that are just waiting to be made. I'm excited!

      Delete
    2. That will be very freeing :D I'm excited for you. 5 left? You will be through it in a breeze; and Yay for that!!

      Delete
  3. All of your stuff is awesome and I have really enjoyed reading your blog! Thank you for sharing, even through the hard times. It's inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kelly! Your words touch my heart.

      Delete
  4. It's a toss up whether my favourite is the flowy dress or the grey outfit. You look terrific in both! Wishing you a happy and healthy 2014, Shirley. Looking forward to seeing more of your fabulous creations this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam! I'm working on a denim button-up skirt today, well, actually all this past week! I can't wait to finish it. I have a blue and white striped tee that I am making to go with it. I hope it will be an outfit good for winter and summer.

      Delete
  5. You've made some amazing things this year. And I'm impressed with all your creativity - plus technically challenging sewing - during such a rough time for you. Here's to an excellent 2014!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy! Yes, an excellent 2014 is on the horizon!!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!