Friday, January 31, 2014

Ottobre Velour Pants & Raglan T-shirt

Ottobre 4/2013
#32 Remainder velour pants Size 128
#33 Ruler raglan T-shirt Size 128




 I love these 2 patterns!  These pants scream softness and comfort.  I used a black velour fabric for the pants, which I think I purchased from the Fabric Fairy a few months ago.  These have been on my To-Do list for a while now.  My daughter loves her yoga-style pants, but I needed to find something that would be warmer in the winter--huge score!  She loves them!  They are such a nice fit.  


I haven't sewn with velour but one other time, and I found it to be very easy to work with, but a little linty.  Since there is some stretch to it, I did use a ball point needle, as well as my walking foot to ensure even feed of my fabric.  The pocket facings are made from jersey knit, which was easy to sew to the velour.  I finished all seams with my serger.

I cut the tie strap from a lycra cotton, which proved to be difficult to hold a crease with ironing.  I used pins to hold the folded edges and then used a zigzag stitch instead of double stitching.  I thought a straight stitch would be more difficult to control, and the zigzag was quick and hardly noticeable.  I basted the waist casing from the inside of the pant to make sure I wouldn't catch the elastic or miss the edge of my fabric, and then turned it to the right side and used my twin stretch needle to sew my double seam.


I used a small piece of woven interfacing behind the button holes, which worked beautifully.

The raglan shirt was made from a thermal pig print knit.  I used a strip of the velour for the neckband.  It worked okay, definitely not as good as a jersey.  I am running low on my black jersey and need it for another project.  I didn't want to chance shorting myself, so just used the velour.  I also wanted something super soft around the neck area (this thermal knit is not very soft) and a way to tie the two pieces of clothing together.  My daughter loves pigs, so when I saw this fabric a while back, I grabbed it.  I can't remember where I bought it now.  Another reason to start logging my fabrics in when I receive them!

This entire outfit was made in 4 hours, with the exception of cutting out the pants the day before.  This is definitely a pattern that I will be coming back to a lot. Size range is 128 to 170, and with my daughter wearing a 128 at this time, we're covered now for a few years to come!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

13 comments:

  1. I love the pigs! how cute! I also enjoy sewing with velour. (In fact I ordered some more last week). It is nice and fuzzy. The pants look like they fit great and I think the details are great. The top is just so cute!!!!! And in 4 hours? You are flyin' ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin, I have decided I would only sew in the mornings so I wouldn't neglect my other household duties such as cleaning. As a result, it makes me sew faster! LOL I have an OCD when it comes to sewing and I don't want to stop!

      Delete
    2. hahaha. Cleaning is usually the first I neglect... until I absolutely have to. :D I should try sewing in the am. I usually wait until afternoon but I'm tired by then - not very productive

      Delete
  2. I haven't sewn with velour for many years, Shirley, nor worn it either. Not sure why, as I love the feel of velour. Fabulous pants that are sure to be worn a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither Pam! Maybe I wore too many velour tracksuits when I was younger! LOL That certainly shows my age! :)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Christie! I visited your blog and you are so talented with your crochet! Looks like you stay busy between sewing and crocheting. I'm just getting into crochet and love it!

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, I used the same fabric & the Flashback Skinny Tee for my daughter! Great minds think alike!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny Amy! Everyone should have atleast one little piggy shirt ha ha!

      Delete
  5. I love your blog
    followed
    http://minimaysi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Zara May! I love to sew and it is so much fun to share what I make and to see what others have made as well!

      Delete
  6. Those velour pants look so cosy. I'd love a pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are so nice Suzie! These and the Crafty Mama funky pant, so far, are the only pants I make for my daughter. It has to be soft and stretchy otherwise she won't wear it! I don't know what I would do for her if I didn't so because I can't usually buy anything she likes!

      Delete

I love reading your comments!