New Look Pattern No. 6095
Fabrics from Girl Charlee
I really like my new dress! I added to the pattern sleeve with a strip of coordinating fabric. I think I cut it about 2.5 inches wide by the length of the base of the sleeve. I then folded it wrong sides together, and sewed it to the sleeve with my serger--easy hem!
I liked how view D had a shortened version of the dress with an added contrast band. Instead of using a ribbon trim as the pattern would have you do, I cut a strip of coordinating fabric to sew between the dress and the band. If you make this in a stripe, you will loose them at the bust darts, but then they come together further down.
I like the shaping the back darts give and this was easy to do with the stripes.
I cannot begin to tell you how frustrating it was to try and match these stripes with the installation of the zipper!! I used an invisible zipper instead too. They are just so much easier to put in. Anyway, since I did an invisible zip, I had to finish off the neckline a little differently. In doing so, I forgot that I hadn't "secured" the top of my zipper after I cut off some of the length. Up went the zipper and off came the metal slide. And this was after spending A LOT of time getting it in where the stripes matched up to the best of my ability. Then I had to rip out that zipper and do it all over again. Not one of my best moments. LOL A big lesson learned. The stripes match up pretty good. It isn't perfect, but it is close enough where I am happy with it.
I just love red, white, and blue together!
Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley