Thursday, April 23, 2015

Lady Skater Dress

Kitschy Coo Lady Skater
Size 3
Shortened lengthy by 2 inches
Swayback adjustment of 1/2 inch


I can't believe it has taken me so long to make this dress!  I had such a difficult time deciding on my fabric choice; I chose a bold floral.  

I followed the pattern recommendation of making a muslin of the bodice only.  I discovered that I needed a swayback adjustment.  Kitschy Coo has fitting and adjustment directions with photos on their blog--so helpful!  This is the first time I have ever attempted a swayback adjustment and it was very simple for this dress.


I like how fitted the bodice is.




 Nice movement with the skirt.


This is such a great dress to add to your wardrobe.  It is very quick to sew.  The instructions are some of the best I have seen for a knit project.  I will definitely be making more for summer.

Fabric:  Soft jersey knit floral red/yellow/white $6.98 a yard from Fabric.com

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Etta Plaid Dress

Ottobre 2/2012
Etta Plaid Dress (#2)
Size 38
Alterations:  Removed 4 inches from the length



 This dress has a total of 5 pattern pieces, making it very quick to sew!

The trickiest part of the dress is probably the horizontal seams front and back.  



The front of the dress has a button placket and bust darts--2 at the side, 2 at the bottom.  After you overlap and baste the bottom edges of the placket, you then gather the lower edge of the dress till it matches the length of the upper area.  This seam tapers to nothing at the outer edges.  It is really unique how this pattern piece is cut.  The back has a seam down the middle prior to gathering at its horizontal seam.



Instead of sleeves, you have a shoulder "wing."




This dress utilizes the same pattern pieces as the Cordelia cotton dress, which I made before here.

I am amazed at how different this dress looks with changing the sleeve out to a shoulder wing and, of course, different fabric.   I can already tell this will be worn a lot this summer!

Fabric purchased from Fashion Fabrics for $3.90 a yard.  This fabric is actually 2 sided.  The other side is a soft looking plaid with blues, reds, and creams--very pretty.  I have been wanting a simple red check dress, so this looked good to me.  The fabric is labeled as Ecru/pink plaid gauze, but I would call it more fushia color.  It was challenging finding buttons to match.  They cost me more than a yard of this fabric!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley

Friday, April 3, 2015

The Perfect Pair

The Alma blouse paired with the Moss skirt


Sewaholic Alma Blouse
 Size 6
View A
No alterations



 I really like this top.  I tried to make it last summer and had issues getting the invisible zipper in the side seam. I tossed it and moved on to a different project.  I'm so glad I came back to it.  Proof that one should not give up on a challenge.  I just needed time to gain more invisible zip experience.


I forgot to make a sloping shoulder adjustment, but I think it is still okay because of the sleeve type making it not so obvious.  I'm still trying to get a handle on what body-type adjustments to make.

I found the depth of the armhole just perfect, the darts were all in a good place for me, and the length of the blouse is great!


Since my fabric is thin and lightweight, I was able to use my narrow edge foot for the hemming.  I still haven't found a way to go over side seams smoothly with it.  I even tried trimming down the seam, but I always get hung up there.  The only thing I have found that works for me is to stop and manually fold the fabric, stitch over the seam, and then resume stitching with the narrow edge foot.


 Grainline Moss Skirt
 Size 6 at the waist, graded to a 4 at the hips
View A

Alterations:  Lengthened by 2" and dart alteration to back yoke by .5 inches




The moss skirt is a great wardrobe staple!  It sits at the waist comfortably and has nice sized pockets.  It is a basic skirt but a great starting point if you want to get creative with modifications.

To eliminate the waist gap that usually occurs when making my bottoms, I decided to take a 1/2 inch dart out in the pattern tissue on the back yoke only.  I just pinned it out and then cut my fabric.  It fits perfectly without any gaping on my first try!  This was much easier than trying to adjust the CB seam as I have done in the past.  It occurred to me that by adjusting the "seam," I may be altering the curvature of the pattern more than should be.



 I used a triple stitch for my back yoke top stitching and quickly discovered that it was going to be difficult to control my line of stitch.  I did do it on scrap fabric first but didn't realize how hard it was going to be keeping it lined up with the seam.  Yikes!  So, I finished that area and didn't do it anywhere else.  It won't be seen anyway since I never tuck my blouses in.  I had intended this to be my muslin, but I love it and it is completely wearable.

I used a dark blue thread for hemming so it would blend in with the denim.



I can see making up many sets of this outfit--a perfect pair to me!



My denim is mid to heavy weight, so it won't be worn much during the heat of the summer, but nice right now since we are still having cool temperatures.  I'm glad I only ordered a yard of it since it is kind of shiny.  I don't think I would have liked it in a jean.

My blouse fabric was purchased from Fashion Fabrics Club last summer.  I don't remember what it is technically called.  It is some kind of cotton blend.  I wish I could recognize fabric types better.

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley