Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Jalie Jean (Shorts) with Sleeveless Top

Jalie Jeans Pattern 2908
Size S
Fabric:  Kaufman 6oz Stretch Denim Indigo from Fabric.com

***

Ottobre 2/2013, #3 Buttondown Sleeveless Blouse
Size 38
Alterations:  1/2 inch swayback, removed 2 inches from length
Fabric:  Magenta/Navy Lawn from Fashion Fabrics Club


Oh my gosh....this is going to be my go-to outfit for summer!  I love it!

My fabric for the top is fairly sheer, so I am wearing a black camisole top underneath.  The fabric also frays terribly, so I made French seams.  This was a little tricky since I only added 3/8 inch seam allowances!  Had I examined my fabric a little more closely, I would have definitely traced a larger seam allowance.

  

I did consider cutting an inch off after it was already hemmed to bring it up a little, but hemming this fabric took time and I decided it isn't "too" long to deal with.  I made this top a couple of years ago, shortening it by 5".  This time I chose to shorten it by 2" since I had to retrace my pattern in a larger size.


I'm always keeping an eye out for a good shorts pattern.  Then it occurred to me that I can use the awesome Jalie jean pattern and just make them into shorts!


 For the length, I used the top portion of the pattern only.  I brought out the inner leg seam by 1/2" at the bottom, tapering up and rejoining the the original pattern line about 5 or so inches up.  I also darted out 1/4" on the back yoke piece to adjust for my swayback, also taking in 1/2" on the CB waistband.


This fabric is 96% cotton with 4% spandex, giving it plenty of stretch and the denim is very soft.  I added a piece of stay tape in the top of the waist band.  I should have added a piece of interfacing at the section of the buttonhole since my fabric isn't very thick.  I turned up the cuff on the bottom twice, tacking it at the seams only.



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley


10 comments:

  1. Looks great Shirley! I really want to try those Jalie jeans sometime. Great fit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Justine! You should definitely try the Jalie Jeans pattern. It is drafted so well and every review I have seen is positive.

      Delete
  2. Those shorts look really great! Exactly what I had in mind to make for myself. I already have the pattern and the fabric, but this project is near the bottom of my (rather long) to do list. Maybe, after seeing your version, ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with yours! I wish it had occurred to me sooner to make shorts with the Jalie pattern. I was tempted to go look in the stores but then figured they probably wouldn't fit like I want anyway, so I pulled out the pattern and got to it. These are a little quicker than jeans since it's half the top stitching. LOL

      Delete
  3. You did great works! Both of them fit you really well. I hadn't seen that jeans pattern. I will check it:) Thank you for the useful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli Cat! The Jalie jeans pattern is a really great one to have. You have 2 options, high rise or low rise. The shorts I made are the low rise option.

      Delete
  4. Love the top, love the shorts and love the fabric. I'm sure this is going to be your go-to outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! You are right...I have already worn this outfit twice! ha ha I already have plans to make another pair of shorts and shirt so I can rotate them.

      Delete
  5. French seams on 3/8"!! You are crazy woman! The top is beautiful and I need to force myself to make this pattern, it's been on my list since the magazine came. I love, love, love the Bermudas and am totally copying you on those!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL It was tedious to make those seams! Now I will have to retrace my pattern to add wider seam allowances. I love my Bermudas too. I don't think I have made anything before that I have worn as much as I have these already. A sign that I should make more everyday casual clothing. LOL

      Delete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!