Sunday, January 1, 2017

McCall's 7079

McCall's 7079
Size 12
Fabric: Jersey Knit



What a well drafted little pattern this is!  I didn't have to make any alterations--everything fit perfectly.  My daughter loves it and immediately asked if I could make her another one.  She actually wants a third, but we decided to postpone that make until closer to summer since the other fabric is a tropical floral-type print.


The pattern instructions have you turn under the fabric for the neck. I prefer an actual neckband, so I cut a strip of fabric 2 inches in width, folding wrong sides together, and attaching to the wrong side of the neckline.  Then I folded it over onto itself and attached with a tiny zig zag stitch.  Lighter knit fabrics are a little trickier for me to handle and I have found that doing it this way makes the neck more stable.  I don't end up with a floppy, stretched out neckband.



I used my serger and cover stitch machine for the entire assembly of this dress, making it so quick! I do use my sewing machine to baste the neckband on, prior to serging, to ensure everything looks right.


This version is made in a ponte knit.  I also made a neckband here, but since it is a thicker fabric, I attached it as you would for any t-shirt.  I cut the neckband at 1 and 3/4 inch width, attaching with a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  I cut the length long and slightly pull on it as I sew it to the neck, cutting off the excess once I reach the end.


As you can see above in the pattern illustration, there are other versions that can be made with options to the bodice back, as well as a gathered skirt with elastic insertion.  Since we are still having cool temperatures, I opted for no open back designs and I'd much rather not have to gather the skirt if I don't have to.  With this dress version, the skirt top matches perfectly to the bodice bottom and no elastic is used.


Happy New Year!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley



5 comments:

  1. Happy new year, Shirley! I am glad that to see your new projects. Both are very cute, especially love pink Knit:) I agree with you, these fit perfectly on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eli cat! I couldn't wait to get back to sewing something after taking a few weeks off. I hurt my back and laid around for a week and then my children were on Christmas break for a couple weeks after that. So much other stuff to do and so little time to sew.

      Delete
  2. What pretty little dresses! It's easy to see why she immediately wants another one, they're both adorable. Happy New Year, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so cute :D I'm so sad I think I got rid of that top fabric I had. It looks so good in this pattern I wish I had it to make K one of these. I hope she's still wearing them because they look great on her

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!