Sunday, March 26, 2017

DIY Spring Wreath

Spring is finally here!  So this weekend, my kids and I went to our local craft store and bought supplies to make a pretty wreath for our door.  



I already knew I wanted a purple and white color theme, but my son thought to add a splash of some turquoise flowers to the mix.

If you haven't ever made a wreath before, here is how it all came together for us.  Hopefully you can get your flowers on sale. It doesn't look like a lot flowers purchased, but once you begin cutting the stems free of the bunches, it starts to accumulate into a nice pile quickly.  I did have another picture of a additional 2 bunches, but there was an error with that picture and I couldn't post it for some reason.  It was a bunch of small white flowers and a little more of the turquoise flowers, as well as a tiny sprig of pink.  I just want to let you know to give you an idea of how many flowers we used.


Some of the stems are thick and hard to cut through, so it helps to have a pair of wire cutters on hand.


My daughter and I each took a side of the wreath and randomly started sticking the flowers into the wood.  It helps to take a few steps back and look at it from a distance as you go.  If it doesn't look right, just pull it out and start over.

Next, secure most everything with a hot glue gun.  

 I searched for a You Tube video on how to tie a bow for a wreath.  You definitely want to use wired ribbon for this.


My daughter used one of the stems to fasten an area to glue our bird to.




Happy Spring!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley




Monday, March 13, 2017

Making Chokers & Missing the Mark on My Sewing

One of my girls is really into wearing chokers.  I can remember wearing them myself, many, many years ago. Allowance money can only take you so far when you want to start buying jewelry, and when you are crafty, why buy when you can make it!  Thank you Sew4home blog for the awesome post on making your own chokers.


The most challenging part is finding the ribbon you want.  We still need to find a good source, so more shopping to come.




However, we found enough to get started and they turned out awesome!  This was much easier and quicker than we thought it would be.


***

I have been sewing for myself, but I'm having a bad run of things not fitting!  It's so frustrating.  Times like these, if I wasn't already an experienced seamstress, I might throw in the towel...yes, that frustrating.

I once had my fit perfected, but I'm a little older now (49) and after a couple extra pounds, things just aren't coming together as easily.  Plus, I have been on a mission to make myself a woven skirt, so that is another hurdle as well.

Simplicity 8300


This is such a cute skirt!  Cute details with darts, back zipper, overlay, etc.  By the way, Chambray frays so nicely too.  I had high hopes of making a cute red striped knit shirt to wear with this.  I made it in a 14, and although my hips fall within this size range, I clearly need a little extra room on the backside.  The back doesn't fall level to the front, and after some blog reading, I now understand why you can be within the size range and still not fit.  I have more on the backside than I do on the front, so I need to compensate for that.




It's a basic skirt pattern with the cute overlay making it look like a wrap.  This pattern is definitely a winner, but I have to learn how to make the needed adjustment for fitting myself.

***

Simplicity 8343



Such a cute pattern!  Elastic waist shorts with an over skirt that ties in the front.  I made this in a size 14; however, there is so much ease that I had to really tighten up on the elastic, throwing off the tie/wrap pieces and since I can't tie them as tight as I need to, they hang lower than where the shorts hit my waist.  I still think this pattern is a winner, but I have to make them in a 12 next time.


I really thought this fabric was navy blue on the computer, so a surprise when I saw that it was purple.  Not being sold on the color didn't help when I was sewing it up.  I found that I really have to love my fabric or I just want to fly through my project to get it done.

New Look 6407


I was so excited that this was turning out!  I originally planned on View D with the tie sleeves, but quickly realized that they were going to be way too tight around my fuller arms.  I pulled out the sleeve for View E and compared the two pattern sleeves and discovered that there is much more room in E.  Oh my, much more ease to contend with and the way the sleeves looked on me just made me disappointed.  It could be the result of using cotton lawn.  Maybe.  

There are actually a couple of other makes that are long gone in the trash, so as you can see, I have been in a long sewing slump.

To recover from my sewing blues, I sewed up a couple of Jalie knit shirts...

Jalie 2805


Jalie 3352


Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley