Thursday, October 12, 2017

Chelsea Pants

 Greenstyle Creations 
Chelsea Pants


I have to admit upfront that it took me 3 attempts to perfect my fit on these pants; however, it was time well spent!  I love these pants.  Note to self....don't use your most expensive knit fabric on your first try!

In my first attempt, I discovered that my waistband was too big and I would also need to include the optional elastic.  My pants felt as though they might pull down just a bit upon sitting.  I adjusted the back waistband by darting out a 1/2" at the top.  I also shortened by an inch above the knee.  I had already shortened the length by 2 inches below the knee, but that was apparently not enough because I had some fabric pooling behind the knee area.  I am 5'1 and it is common for me to have to shorten my pants.

In my second attempt, I realized that perhaps my thighs were a bit too big for the size small I was trying to squeeze them into!  I fell into the hip measurements of a size small, but my thighs needed more space.  I reprinted my pattern with size small and medium lines so I could grade out to a medium immediately after the waist.


The 3rd and final attempt made for a perfect fit.  I retraced my pattern so I could also have another version 2 inches longer in length to accommodate boots in the winter.

It is difficult to see because of the variation in color of my fabric, but there is a seam down the front of the pant legs.  If you look closely around my thigh area, you can see the seam a little clearer.  This is also top stitched.


I wish I could tell you where I purchased this really cool knit, but it was so long ago that I don't remember.  I'm glad I didn't find this to use first, because I like this even more than the ponte knit I had planned/purchased for my pants.

The back waistband dips to a V at the center back.  This is such a nice detail.  This is not hard at all to do.  You can't really tell by the picture, but I had to use another fabric just for the back waistband!  I barely squeezed these pants out of the fabric I had.  I'm so relieved that the color of the waistband blends so well.


My shirt is made by me too.  Originally it was a dress, but after only wearing one time since made, I decided to chop it off and make it into a blouse.  I needed something to match my pants and after rummaging through my closet, it was the only thing I could find.  

I also sewed up this cute t-shirt for one of my girls using Jalie 2805 pattern.  The fabric is Art Gallery from Fabric.com.



Thanks for stopping by ~ Shirley





8 comments:

  1. These pants are very gorgeous! They fit on you very well. Is that fabric a velvet knit? I think it's difficult to sew a velvet, but they are perfect work. Someday, I would love to go to a fabric store in US:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They do look like velvet, but they are not. They do have a texture to them. The fabric is medium weight and has a nice stretch like jegging fabric. I bought it probably 5 years ago but I have never seen anything like it since. I used it for a hoodie that I made my son.

      Delete
  2. They look lovely! The fabric looks so soft. I also prefer the dress as a shirt, good idea to chop it! The fabric of your daughters top is gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I always love to upcycle clothing if I can, especially if it is something I have made that ends up not getting worn. One of my daughters raids my closet for things I no longer wear and we end up shortening for her to wear as well. LOL

      Delete
  3. Shirley, these look perfect! So I guess that it was worth the muslins. What is the rise on these pants? I looked at the pattern, but I couldn't find it. I must admit I like a higher rise, I find it more comfortable. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thank you! Yes, definitely worth the muslins. I made mine with the low rise option. There is a mid rise and high rise option as well. I'm short waisted, so I always choose low for all my pants...which the low on me isn't as low on others! LOL High rise would make me look like I have no waist. The back side of the pants are higher than the front side, so on me, the backside is low middle of my back which is very comfortable.

      Delete
  4. This pattern looks like it was made just for you! I had no idea the waistband was a different fabric. I would wear these nonstop they look fantastic and comfortable! win win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I like it too, but I wish the pants were longer because I have no winter shoes it looks good with. But the fabric looks more fall/winter than it does summer, so it's not a good summer outfit either...sigh.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Your comments are enjoyed and very much appreciated!